Choosing an affordable health insurance plan can feel like an overwhelming process. But with a little basic knowledge and a few simple steps you will be on your way to finding a low-cost plan that works for you. You may even qualify for a health insurance plan that is completely free.
Continue reading to learn more about your health care options and find out how to choose a plan that works for you.
If you are looking for low-cost health insurance, you may qualify for Medicaid, which is health insurance that is covered by the federal government and administered through state Medicaid agencies. It is one of the cheapest options for health insurance. It usually costs very little or is completely free if you meet certain qualifications.
To qualify for Medicaid, you must be considered low income according to your specific state’s conditions, or you must have a certain disability status according to your specific state’s guidelines.
To find out if you qualify for free health insurance, you will need to fill out a form through your state’s Medicaid agency or through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
You will need to know the below information to apply for Medicaid:
- Your Household size: This generally includes anyone who lives in your house that you care for
- Your home address and mailing address
- Your Social Security number (SSN) as well as the SSN of anyone listed as part of your household
- Information on how you file your taxes
- Employer information for you and anyone listed as part of your household
- Income information for you and those listed as part of your household
- Whether you or anyone else in your household is currently enrolled in any form of health coverage
- Your best estimate of your total household income
If you do not qualify for free or low cost Medicaid, there are other options for cheaper health insurance. Continue reading to discover more ways to find cheap health care.